The Australian market looks set to open lower later this morning, following sharp falls on Wall Street on Friday night after a strong US jobs report raising expectations the Federal Reserve will soon lift interest rates.
The March SPI futures contract is down 58 points, at 5832.
The Labor Department said the US economy added 295,000 jobs in February, pushing the unemployment rate down two tenths to 5.5 per cent, the lowest level since May 2008.
In local economic news today, the ANZ job advertisements series for February is due out.
No major equities news, is expected.
- SPI down 58 points at 5832
- AUD at 77.09 US cents
- Dow Jones -1.54%, S&P500 -1.42%, Nasdaq -1.11%
- FTSE100 -0.71%, CAC +0.02%, DAX +0.41%
- Gold down 2.6% at $US1167.40 an ounce
- Brent oil down 75 US cents at $US59.73 per barrel
- Iron ore down 24 US cents at $US59.49