The Aussie market will open lower to start the new trading week, following Wall Street’s fall of more than 1% on Friday night amid a mixed US jobs report which clouded prospects for a Federal Reserve interest rate rise.
The September SPI futures contract is down 20 points, at 5005.
In local economic news today, Australian Industry Group/Housing Industry Association’s performance of construction index for August is due out as is the ANZ job advertisements series for the same month.
In equities news, Westpac is expected to give a strategy update. In Australia, the market on Friday closed slightly higher in a see-sawing session ahead of the release of important jobs figures in the US.
- SPI down 20 points at 5005
- AUD at 69.08 US cents
- Dow Jones -1.66%, S&P500 -1.53%, Nasdaq -1.05%
- FTSE100 -2.44%, CAC -2.81%, DAX -2.71%
- Spot gold down 0.2% at $US1123.45 an ounce
- Brent oil down 2.1% at $US49.61 a barrel
- Iron ore at $US56.50 per tonne