The Aussie makret is poised to start the new trading week on a mildly positive note, following gains on Wall Street on Friday night amid solid US data on wholesale prices and industrial production.
The SPI futures contract is up seven points, at 5298.
No major local economic news is expected today.
In equities news, Newcrest, Aurizon, FlexiGroup and Mesoblast are slated to post full-year results.
In Australia, the market on Friday ended a volatile week with a fall due to weak commodity prices and subdued reaction to mixed company profit reports.
– SPI futures up 7pts to 5298
– On Wall St, S&P 500 +0.4%, Dow +0.4%, Nasdaq +0.3%
– In Europe, Stoxx 50 -0.7%, FTSE -0.3%, CAC -0.6%, DAX -0.3%
– Spot gold flat at $US1115.09 an ounce
– Brent crude down 0.9% to $US49.19 a barrel
– Iron ore slips 0.5% to $US56.74 per tonne
What’s on today
US net capital flow for June, housing market index for August
Stocks in focus
ASX earnings reports for today: Newcrest Mining, Aurizon, Charter Hall Retail, Flexigroup
Macquarie Wealth Management has an “outperform” recommendation on News Corp and a price target at $23.65 a share.