The Aussie market is poised to open sharply lower after Wall street ended a volatile week with its worst five-day start to a year ever.
The SPI futures contract is down 80 points at 4,850.
In local news today, the ANZ job advertisements series for January is due out.
No major equities news is expected.
- SPI futures down 80 pts to 4850 on Saturday morning.
- In Europe, Stoxx 50 -1.7%, FTSE -0.7%, CAC -1.6%, DAX -1.3%
- The Australian dollar began the local week trading at US69.59¢.
- Iron ore for delivery to the Chinese port of Qingdao fell 1.2 per cent to $US42.13 a tonne, according to data compiled by Metal Bulletin.
- Brent crude -1.2%, US oil -1.1%, Spot gold -0.4%, Comex-traded copper -0.3%.
What’s on today:
Rio Tinto chairman Jan de Plessis’s main boardroom focus for 2016 will be finalising succession planning at the mining giant.