The Australian market looks set to open higher after Wall Street made modest gains thanks, in part, to a sharp rise in oil prices prompting a lift in energy stocks.
The SPI is trading at 5442, up 23 points.
Locally, in economic news on Thursday, the Australian Bureau of Statistics releases retail trade figures and overseas arrivals and departures data, both for June.
In equities news, Tabcorp, Suncorp and Downer Group are slated to post full-year results.
- The SPI is trading at 5442, up 23 points
- AUD -0.3% to 75.84 US cents
- On Wall St, Dow +0.2%, S&P 500 +0.3%, Nasdaq +0.4%
- In Europe, Stoxx 50 +0.1%, FTSE -0.2%, CAC -0.2%, DAX +0.3%
- Spot gold -0.5% to $US1357.33 an ounce
- Brent crude +3.1% to $US43.09 a barrel
- Iron ore -0.4% to $US61.67 per tonne
What’s on today
No local data
Bank of England releases its decision on the benchmark interest rate, asset-purchase facility and the Inflation Report with its latest forecasts.