The Australian market looks set to open slightly higher following gains on Wall Street which clinched its fourth straight positive week, boosted by strength in telecom stalwarts AT & T and Verizon.
The SPI is trading at 5468, up 1 point.
Locally, no major economic news is expected today, although Commsec’s State of the States report is released.
In equities news, Newcrest Mining is slated to release a fourth quarter production review and Australis Oil and Gas is scheduled to list on the ASX. Meanwhile, Dick Smith creditors are due to meet with the administrator in Sydney.
- The SPI is trading at 5468, up 1 point
- AUD trading at 74.66 US cents, 79.26 Japanese yen, 68.00 Euro cents and 56.79 British pence
- On Wall St, Dow +0.3 per cent, S&P 500 +0.5 per cent, Nasdaq +0.5 per cent.
- In New York, BHP -1.5 per cent, Rio -0.4 per cent.
- In Europe, Stoxx 50 +0.1 per cent, FTSE +0.5 per cent, CAC flat, DAX +0.1 per cent.
- Spot gold -0.7 per cent to $US1322.72 an ounce.
- Brent crude -1 per cent to $US45.74 a barrel.
- Iron ore -2.3 per cent to $US55.87 per tonne
What’s on today
No local data